Cold and Flu
: Top Picks for Flu Prevention
By Michael T. Murray, ND
Seasonal flu season typically peaks in January or February, but the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention often report flu activity as late as May. Here are my favorite dietary supplements to focus on this flu season:
- A high-quality multiple vitamin and mineral supplement that contains vitamins C and E, B vitamins, zinc, and selenium.
- Vitamin D. If you are tested and are deficient, I recommend at least 5,000 IU daily. If you want to supplement without having your levels checked, try 2,000 IU daily.
- Echinacea extract, which studies have shown to enhance immunity.
And don’t forget the diet and lifestyle steps you can take to help strengthen your immune system:
- Get enough sleep.
- Reduce or avoid refined sugars and saturated fats.
- Eat high-quality protein and essential fatty acids.
This flu season, arm yourself with proactive prevention!
This article is reprinted with permission from Dr. Michael Murray's Natural Living News. For more articles like this one, visit www.DoctorMurray.com/NLN.
Dr. Michael T. Murray is one of the world’s leading authorities on natural medicine and the author of more than 30 bestelling books, including The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine. He is a graduate and former faculty member, and serves on the Board of Regents, of Bastyr University in Seattle, Washington.